Declaration of Independence

>> Thursday, July 4, 2013


Come with me to the dark, wind-swept land of my childhood. In that barren place, it was decreed that all Christians must be devoid of emotions. My church and my widowed mother were in agreement. To have feelings was to sin. My mother never touched me nor told me she loved me.

I moved through my days detached from life.

I remained stoic when Mother told me whom I would be marrying and when. I was only 15 when plans were put in motion for my marriage before the completion of my senior year in high school. I registered no feelings as I walked down the aisle during my wedding ceremony.

Pledging to love, honor and obey the man standing at the end of that aisle was no different than being told to love, honor and obey my mother. In either case, I was to do as I was told.

That barren land is a distant memory.

It took years … hard work … and God … for me to overcome the hold my upbringing had on me. But there came a day when freedom was within my grasp. Inner fireworks exploded and my face reflected the glow.

Just as on the 4th of July our country celebrates its independence, I rejoice in mine.


“This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NLT)



Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP