Headwaters

>> Thursday, August 8, 2013


To my right, as my husband and I drove north toward Banff, Canada, I spotted a sign that said, “Columbia Lake”. Since I live in a city with the Columbia River flowing through it, the name caught my attention. Soon, I noticed another sign to the left of the highway stating we were traveling along the Columbia River. 

How cool. That river is flowing south and will go within blocks of my home.

We enjoyed our fabulous weeklong stay…even journeying to the Columbia Ice Fields.

My “duh” moment came after our return home. As I studied the Canadian Rockies map I had purchased, I noticed the Columbia River did NOT go south from Columbia Lake. It traveled northwest.

Research ensued.

From its headwaters at Columbia Lake, the river flows northwest for 200 miles through the Columbia Valley…including the ice fields. Then it turns sharply south, crossing the U. S. border into eastern Washington. The Columbia River is the largest river in the Pacific Northwest and the fourth largest in the United States. And its course takes it all four directions.


How had I lived beside it for 27 years and not known that?

Yet how many people live for years within blocks of a church and have no idea that the headwaters of abundant living is available within? The flow of God’s grace is the largest in the universe and travels all directions. The Bible is available to anyone who is interested in understanding about that flow and clearly shows the course of God’s love.

It is up to me as a Christ-follower to help others reach that “duh” moment when they are eager to discover more about the perpetual headwaters of life.

“Jesus answered, “If you knew the generosity of God and who I am, you would be asking me for a drink, and I would give you fresh, living water.” John 4:10 (MSG)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP