Misleading Identifiers

>> Sunday, August 4, 2013


I followed the black Monte Carlo down Clearwater Avenue…with a smile on my face. Across the back of that car was a sticker…“In Memory” with a large red 3. I was driving behind a Dale Earnhardt fan. The eye doctor’s office where I had an appointment was ahead on the left. As I pulled into the center turn lane, so did the Monte Carlo. Apparently, the driver was going to the eye doctor too.

I waited until a man climbed from the car.

“I noticed your red 3 and black Monte Carlo. I was a fan of his too.”

“Excuse me.”

“Dale Earnhardt…the Intimidator. You are driving a car like his with his number on the back.”

“Oh, I don’t know anything about that. It was there when I bought the car.”

Annoyed, I walked into the doctor’s office. What was he thinking, driving around in a black Monte Carlo with a red 3 on the back if he didn’t even know who Dale Earnhardt was?

As I waited for the doctor, my thoughts turned to being a Christ-follower. I’ve known people who went to church and carried their Bible. Yet when conversations turned to Jesus, they would hem and haw and then admit, “I don’t really know anything about that. I go to church because my folks…spouse…friend wants me to.”

Do I mislead others by my actions or by what I carry? Do you?


“Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don’t drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need firsthand evidence, not mere hearsay, that Jesus Christ is in you. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it.” II Corinthians 13:5 (MSG)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP