Too Huge to Handle

>> Thursday, August 29, 2013


My husband, John, and I were exploring the Country Mercantile…a place I had mentioned to him two years earlier. But only after he visited it with his motorcycle buddy could he deign it good enough for us to spend time there.

Our plan was to eat lunch…sandwiches.

But first we perused one aisle after another. We were almost to the deli counter when I spied a large glass canister filled with various colored jawbreakers. And not just the normal economy sized ones. These were huge. I glanced at them again as we passed by. As we waited our turn at the deli, my eyes turned once again to that canister.

“You want one of those, don’t you? Just go get one.”

“Oh, no. They are way too big. I don’t think I could even get it in my mouth.”

But after another glance, John gave me a little push and said, “Just go get one.”

So I did.

Now I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it. Even though I can open my mouth pretty wide, I just can’t get that huge orb to slide past my teeth. When I put the picture of it on Facebook, a friend suggested I smash it with a hammer.

I think that’s the only way I can eat it.

In my life, I’ve faced obstacles that seemed too large to surmount. The enormity of my situation had me perplexed and unnerved. But I discovered that if I broke that huge problem down…smashing it with the proverbial hammer…I could manage to handle one smaller piece at a time.

And if I allow God to do the breaking down, it’s a cinch.

“Be prepared. You’re up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it’s all over but the shouting you’ll still be on your feet.” Ephesians 6:13 (MSG)


2 comments:

Gail Thomas August 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM  

I love the illustration!!! Ive needed a hammer to smash down situations through out life too! :)
My kids use to each get one of these on the last day of our Canon Beach Vacation, they would lick the thing all the way home. (6 hours in the car!) Boy were they sticky!

Joy Bach August 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM  

Gail, thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words. Good memories with jaw breakers.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP