Selfie

>> Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Last month the Oxford Dictionaries announced selfie as their international word of the year for 2013. Selfie is a picture taken of yourself with a mobile device. Since the use of the word selfie has increased by 17,000% in the last year, more than a few people have become acquainted with it.


However, I had never heard of it until my pastor used it in a sermon a few weeks ago. I did some research; hence, my previous declaration.

When I understood its definition, my thoughts immediately turned to the photos I had taken of an island in Lake Tahoe. Its beauty was magnificent. I wanted to share the wonder with those who could not make the trip. So as our tour boat traveled around the island, my camera shutter clicked 17 times.

Imagine my surprise when I excitedly looked at my wonderful pictures. Each one was of me. 17 selfies. Even though I had not meant to take portraits of myself, the results were the same.

Others deliberately take pictures of themselves. Facebook proves that.

But here’s my point. Whether you set out to show others who you are…or you have no intention of doing so…the result is the same. Each and every day we are presenting a selfie to the world.

What does yours look like?

“Use your heads as you live and work among outsiders. Don’t miss a trick. Make the most of every opportunity. Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, not cut them out.” Colossians 4:5-6 (MSG)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP