A Difference in Price

>> Thursday, March 6, 2014

Reservations had been made. Airline tickets purchased. We were going on a big adventure. And I really wished we had better luggage. We had traveled many miles with our old luggage. It was bulky and very old school…the wheels didn’t spin. Due to some health issues, I thought it would be helpful if we could have some lighter and more maneuverable suitcases.
 
But I had pushed that thought to the back of my mind as I ran my errands.

I stopped to pick up some prescriptions. There…on sale half price…was luggage. I skidded to a stop. Really? American Tourister. The tag said, “light weight”. I reached for the 25” one. Easy peasy. And it had spinner wheels. On the shelf above it was a 21”. Those two were the last of the blue ones.

I pondered.

It was no easy task to place them in the cart. Without being able to see where I was going, I pushed the cart blindly through the aisles to the check out stand. The young man scanned the 21” one first…a few more of my items…and then came the second suitcase.

“Are these alike?”

They were both American Tourister, so I nodded. As I walked to the car, a thought niggled in the back of my mind. What did he mean by that question? What if he thought the second suitcase was the same size as the first one? He would have charged me the same price for both of them.

Out of the blue came the thought, if I don’t look at the receipt, I’ll never know if I got the larger one for the price of the smaller. And just as quickly shame filled me. Did I want to be able to sleep with a clear conscience?

I looked at the receipt.

It was a hassle and time-consuming to get back in line and make the correction in price. No one thanked me for my honesty. They did complain about the difficulty in figuring it out since I also had used a discount coupon.

But it was about so much more than a price tag on a piece of luggage. There would have been a huge difference in the price I would have paid for my dishonesty. I smiled as I walked out.

“People with integrity walk safely, but those who follow crooked paths will slip and fall.” Proverbs 10:9 (NLT)


2 comments:

dandelionfleur March 7, 2014 at 4:06 AM  

Love your honesty, love that you are going on an adventure, and love that you have lighter luggage.

Joy Bach March 7, 2014 at 3:39 PM  

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP