Belief Systems

>> Tuesday, September 22, 2015

I am not a morning person. Left to my own devices I would stay up until midnight and sleep in until 9:00.  But life happens.  Especially now that I have a neighbor who comes by and picks up the dog to take him for a walk a little after 7:00 each morning. So my plan is to already be through at the gym by the time the dog walker arrives.

I set my alarm for 5:45.  That’s AM!  It’s still dark outside.  That’s just wrong.

The other morning, I swung my feet off the side of the bed, searched for my house shoes and turned on the lamp on the nightstand. All the activity roused the dog, so I let him out the back door to take care of his business. By the time he returned, I had donned my exercise clothes, complete with baseball cap so as not to scare anyone, and was ready to leave.

I walked through the kitchen and happened to notice the time on the clock on the stove. 12:24. When did our electricity go off? I looked up at the clock on the microwave. 12:24  What is going on? So I pulled my iPhone from my pocket. It would tell me the truth.

12:24  I have no idea what woke me. 

I checked my alarm on the phone. It was still set for 5:45.  The confused dog watched me walk back in the bedroom, take off my shoes and climb back into bed. When the alarm went off, I would already be dressed.

But sometimes life is just like that.

We think something is an absolute. We go through the motions, based on our belief system. And then something a friend says makes us wonder about our belief. But we dismiss it. We find something unusual in a drawer. Again, our belief system kicks in and we choose to ignore that sign.

Eventually, the truth is discovered. The result of that discovery is up to us.

“Don’t be nitpickers; use your head—and heart!—to discern what is right, to test what is authentically right.” John 7:24 (MSG) 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP