A Forever Love

>> Friday, February 14, 2020

After my marriage to John, Valentine’s Day was kind of hit and miss.  Some years he forgot and would rush around to buy flowers or something and breathlessly apologize.  Other years he became quite creative.  One year was a scavenger hunt with little gifts hidden throughout the house, car and yard.  

Five years ago, Valentine’s Day was not mentioned.  He was living his last days in our bedroom.  

Then came the day I removed his wedding ring from his finger, traveled to the jewelry store and purchased a strong necklace that would hold both our wedding rings.  I’ve worn that chain around my neck until today. 

I find it ironic that I have decided today to no longer wear it.  It’s not a decision I take lightly.  But it seems unavoidable.  You see, a few weeks ago I purchased a device that hangs around my neck and will call for help if I push the button.  It also registers if I fall and will notify someone I have selected.  It came with an explanation that placing it in my pocket or purse would not work.  And since I put it around my neck, the rings and device clack and rattle against each other as I move.  I’ve even been wearing two shirts so I could tuck one inside the inner shirt to avoid the noise.  I can’t do that when it warms up. 

Hence, the decision.  

Shortly after his death, I had a ring etched with the words, “Always and Forever” and wear it continuously.  That publicly declares my ongoing love.   I am so grateful for the wonderful years of love we shared.  We literally became one.  I truly don’t need the reminder around my neck.  

He is always and forever in my heart.  



0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP