Color Me Red, White and Blue

>> Saturday, July 2, 2011

It happened on the treadmill this morning. Chuck Swindoll caused it.

I listen to his podcast every morning while walking on the treadmill … at the gym … where other people can see me. This morning they witnessed me wiping tears as I tried to keep walking. I ran the gamut of emotions. I wanted to salute … place my hand over my heart … sing along with the Star Spangled Banner and God Bless America … and clap as he honored those in his congregation (and their families) who served in one of the six wars fought in the last 70 years.

I’m what you call a patriotic person.

The sound of “taps” playing causes tears. The sight of a flag flapping in the breeze makes me stand a little straighter. When I see a person in uniform, I feel like saluting … or something.

I know America has problems. But look around. We could be a whole lot worse off. Others fight for the right to come to America.

Be proud.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of you teaming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.  I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" This poem is called the New Colossus and it was written by Emma Lazarus. These words appear on the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty.



2 comments:

Joy Bach July 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM  

Let's all stand and salute.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP