Paradise

>> Friday, April 1, 2016

As May 26th draws near, my thoughts turn to last year. My husband, John, lay in a hospital bed in our bedroom. Two friends, one on each side of his bed, watched over him, allowing me the opportunity to take a shower.  As I brushed my teeth, the question came through the closed door.

“How soon will you be through?”

It’s amazing how many thoughts can go through your mind in a matter of seconds. But foremost in my head was the question, “Is this it?”  I didn’t want it to be.

“Why?”

A different voice replied. “John just went to Paradise.”

In that instant, my life changed.  But so did John’s.

Paradise was mentioned a few times during the Easter season. The thief hanging on the cross next to Jesus was told, “Today you will be with me in Paradise.” May 26, 2015, that’s what Jesus said to John.

How could I wish him back in that hospital bed?

Our pastor was attending a meeting in Chicago. Earlier that day I had texted him to tell him I thought the time was drawing near. When John breathed his last and I let Pastor Phil know, his reply is forever etched in my heart.



            “The arms of Jesus is a very good place. We will see him soon.” 

Such comfort.  John had traveled to Paradise and was being held. I could let him go.

Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.” Luke 23:43 (NIV) 


2 comments:

Unknown April 3, 2016 at 1:46 PM  

Beautiful. I know I am longing for that time also. I have been incredibly blessed in this life, and yet - I need more of Jesus. I'm looking forward to the day when I am with Him, much like looking forward to a fantastic vacation, but even better. . .

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP