No Connection ... Searching

>> Monday, June 6, 2011

The plans were complete. My husband, John, and I would steal a few days away from the routine and spend four days in the mountains … in honor of our anniversary. We love to get away together. But we also have separate interests and spend some time doing our own thing. Mine is writing.

Carefully I had uploaded to Google Docs the articles I wanted to work on for a publication. I also had a rough draft of my next blog to refine … add pictures … scripture … and then post.

At check in, I heard the words no internet connection. Those words refused to sink in. There had to be a way. Was it possible I could do my work on my iPhone? Whipping my phone from my pocket I saw the dreaded words – No Service – Searching. Since we had arrived in the evening, I pushed my problem aside to deal with later.

We had decided the first full day would be just for us. We strolled through town, held hands, ate and talked. Later, back at the condo, I worked on a crochet project and read … a delightfully relaxing day.

One of our finds as we perused the shops in town had been a Moxie Java, where coffee, pastries and free Wi-Fi were available. I’ve seen people using their laptops in Starbucks and wondered why they would choose to do their work in public. I need silence and my door shut. But I was about to become one of those people.

The next day John helped me get started. I have no idea just had good the Wi-Fi connection was and my computer is several generations old and very slow. What would normally have taken me 30 minutes turned into an hour … then two. And that was just the part where I was trying to get my blog to post. Frustrated and near tears, I gave up on the rest of my projects and headed back to the condo.

And that is when I began to ponder my dependence on the internet. How had I come to this … to rely so much on that connection?

But my thoughts went deeper. Am I that dependent on my connection to God? Would I be that frustrated if I missed a day being hooked up to Him? There is no such thing as no connection when it comes to seeking Him. I will never see the dreaded words No Service – Searching when I need Him.

His service is always available. But how often do I neglect to connect? What projects go undone because I fail to plug in to His power?

I’m still struggling with my answers.

“Above the floodwaters is God's throne
      from which his power flows,
      from which he rules the world.
God makes his people strong.
   God gives his people peace.”
Psalms 29:10-11 (MSG)

9 comments:

Joanne Sher June 6, 2011 at 7:02 AM  

Beautiful, WONDERFUL post/reminder. Those connections to the 'net can be debilitating -and SO glad God's connection is always there.

(Have my tech-free day tomorrow. SO looking forward to it!)

Joy Bach June 6, 2011 at 7:49 AM  

Thanks, Joanne. So you schedule a "tech free" day? I think I need to do that too.

Laury June 6, 2011 at 10:44 AM  

Ouch. You hurt my toes.

dandelionfleur June 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM  

I felt your frustration! And then your conviction. Excellent Post!

Valerie Landon,  June 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM  

I started today with a list of URGENT things to do - too stressed to take time to pray ... but started by catching up on my "community news reading" on Facebook. That was more than two hours ago. Something not right with this picture ... Joy, your article has challenged me. Thank you.

Joy Bach June 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM  

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments. We are all in this together.

Anonymous,  June 8, 2011 at 6:10 PM  

Joy,
We should have come with you. Then you would of had a tech....
Call me about your slow laptop....I have some upgrade ideas.

Dean

Joy Bach June 9, 2011 at 8:19 PM  

Dean. What an idea. I have more questions.

Di Smith June 10, 2011 at 8:05 AM  

I've so been at that frustrating place and was enthusiastically nodding my support as I read. Then your deep, heart-tugging thoughts settled on me... and I am quieted (a feat in itself, believe you me :p ) Thank you for the reminder and so gently connecting these two circumstances... You've left me with a ton to think about.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP