My Rearview Mirror

>> Monday, February 26, 2018

I pulled out of my subdivision and headed west to meet a friend for coffee.  Glancing in my rearview mirror, I watched as a police car pulled out of a side street and lined up behind me. Instantly I was on the alert.  Was I going the correct speed? Where was my driver’s license and registration (it is a fairly new car)? There was a right turn ahead. Be sure and stay in your lane as you turn. 

Another glance. He was still there. I needed to change lanes.  Blinker on. Checked for traffic. Slowly edged over.  He did too.  But he turned left at the next intersection and I kept going straight.

Whew!

As I drove, I thought about my reaction. He wasn’t out to get me. Police officers are there to help…protect…keep the peace. I see several regularly when I meet my friends at Starbucks. They take their break there. If they get in line behind me I smile and buy their drink. I have police officers that attend my church.

They aren’t the bad guys. 

More thinking as I drove. In fact I was thinking so hard about it I missed my turn and ended up parking in a different spot than usual. A blog must be written. 

So here it is.

The first 30 years of my life I lived tense and on the alert because the God I had been told about was following me. He was watching my every move and ready to pounce if I made a slight error. He was always there and I was always questioning my thoughts and behavior.

Then I discovered a different God. 

My God loves me. If I stray into a different lane, He’s there to help. If I send out the wrong signal, He gently corrects me. I don’t have to be tense and afraid. He’s gentle and kind. Yes, he’s always there, but as a wonderful Friend who cares about me.

I’m free to travel without concern about who’s in my rearview mirror. 



 “This is how we’ve come to understand and experience love: Christ sacrificed His life for us.” 1 John 3:16 (MSG) 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP