Rest and Reflect

>> Friday, September 13, 2019

Several years ago, Pam, a Toastmaster friend, gave a speech about Sabbath.  I’ve never forgotten the concept she put forth.  It’s time set aside from busyness to commune with God. And so, at various times since then, I’ve tried to schedule a Sabbath.  The times I’ve achieved that in my life totally demonstrated to me why it’s necessary.  Yet, life happens, and the Sabbath gets lost in the hurry and chaos of living.   

Recently a friend chose to re-arrange her work schedule to observe the Sabbath on Saturday, in accordance with Jewish law.  I’ve been in awe of her ability to shift her life that way.  And it has caused me to ponder, again, the need for Sabbath in my life. 

A few months ago, I traveled to Amish country.  Their whole lifestyle reflects a Sabbath culture.  And on Sunday, God is the focus all day.  Only the absolute necessities, such as milking the cows, are accomplished on their Sabbath.  They live a centered life.  

And now, this morning, the podcast I listened to explained the need for us as Christ-followers to observe a Sabbath.  Chuck Swindoll’s definition of Sabbath is to “rest and reflect”.  In our world, we all need that.  As fragmented as we may feel, a time to rest and reflect will bring us back to center, to the main value in our life, God’s love.  

In her speech, Pam explained a Sabbath can be when you choose.  If Wednesday is the day you can set aside, then that works.  If a whole day is impossible, what matters is a specific time and focus to rest and reflect.  

I am feeling the need for Sabbath in my life.  I am retired now, but as I look at my life, I don’t know how I ever found time to work. I do take time for meditation and reading, but that’s not Sabbath to me.  I’ve been experimenting with some mini-Sabbaths early in the morning, on my patio, with the birds singing.  That’s just made me hungry for more.  

It’s a choice I need to make, to set aside time for God.  Maybe you could do the same.  

“I will remember my song in the night; I will meditate with my heart, and my spirit ponders.”  Psalm 77:6 (NASB)
  

1 comments:

Unknown September 14, 2019 at 2:41 PM  

Cease striving...... "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10 Good reminder...!

Blessings,
Bette

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP