My Helper

>> Wednesday, September 4, 2019

As a person who lives alone, I’ve become more aware of the consequences of falling.  I hang on to something solid any time I use the step stool.  I make sure the floor has no obstructions in my pathway. And since my brother fell a few weeks ago, breaking ribs and hip, I have increased my vigilance.  

That’s why this scripture caught my attention as I read my Bible the other day.  

“It’s better to have a partner than go it alone. ….. If one falls down, the other helps. But if there’s no one to help, tough!” Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (MSG)

That last sentence made me chuckle.  Tough.

There is a way to have help in my earthly world.  It’s a little device I carry in my pocket.  If I fall, I push the button and someone is there to respond to my need. And even though I didn’t mean to test it, I know it works.  

At work one day, I bumped the corner of my desk as I passed by.  Suddenly my pocket was talking.  “This is Sean.  Are you ok?” My boss turned to look at me.  “Who’s talking?”  

I reached in my pocket and removed the device.  

“I’m ok.  I’m at work and just bumped into my desk.”  

“Is there anyone there with you who can verify you are ok?”  

That’s when my boss’s sense of humor kicked in.  

“Yes, I’m her boss. Now get back to work.”  

Sean was assured it was an accident.  And I now carry that little tool with the button turned inward to avoid further mishaps.  


But I have so much more than just a piece of equipment in my pocket.  God walks through each day with me.  

I’m never going it alone. 


2 comments:

Rita Garcia September 4, 2019 at 9:15 PM  

Thankful that He walks with us. Enjoyed your story about the little device in your pocket. :) I fell a couple of months ago on the patio, I sure could've used a device like that. Thankful, God sent help.

Joy Bach September 4, 2019 at 9:31 PM  

Rita, so glad you are ok. Thanks for your comments.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP