Automatic Door

>> Saturday, November 9, 2019

As I walked toward the doors of the grocery store, a lady stepped in front of me and headed the same way.  I watched as she strode past three double doors that said “pull” and went to the one that was automatic.  I was puzzled.  Lazy?  Bad arms?  I pulled on the first door and entered.  We arrived at the grocery carts about the same time, so I intersected with her several times throughout the store.  She reached across items, reached high on shelves; she didn’t seem to have arm problems.  

I pondered.  Recently, I had done some research on the church culture today.  I saw a parallel.  

It takes effort to pull on a door and open it.  There is no effort involved in walking through an automatic door.  More and more churches offer the automatic door.  It seems folks just want to sit in a building on Sunday morning, be told how good they are doing; and to have a wonderful week.  

No effort involved.  

But there are still a few churches that think living as Christ taught takes some time and effort on our part; that we need to use our spiritual muscles to stay healthy. On Sunday morning they offer guidance from the Bible to help us.  I recently heard a very well-known preacher say, “It is very hard to go to hell.  God is love.  Just be a good person.  Heaven awaits.”  He’s preaching an automatic door religion.  

 Which door do you choose?  

“Don’t look for shortcuts to God.  The market is flooded with surefire, easygoing formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time.  Don’t fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do.  The way to life – to God – is vigorous and requires total attention.”  Matthew 7:13-14 (MSG)


4 comments:

Cat B. November 9, 2019 at 3:15 PM  

Love it - great analogy!

Diane Wicks November 9, 2019 at 8:16 PM  

Very nice, Joy! Great analogy and I am afraid you are right.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP