So You Think You're Having a Bad Day

>> Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Recently I visited a middle school, spending the day with the students. As I drove to the school, I pondered what I could say to kids their age that they could relate to. My morning had not gone well … which resulted in me arriving late. But I was greeted enthusiastically and presented with gifts … a Chai tea, brownie and rice krispies treat.  

I had an “Aha” moment.  

My talk began with how my morning had gone wrong … but ended well … with gifts and time with them. Then I shared about my life ... unwanted by my mother … married off while still in high school … a totally unfulfilled life. But years into my life I met and married a wonderful man … we have a newly built home … and live a truly blessed life.  

“Just because you are having a bad life now does not mean it has to stay that way. When you arrive at an age that you can make choices for yourself, you can turn your life around.”  

Then I asked them to write me a little story … about a bad day they had … or about a bad life they were living. Some of the stories broke my heart. Dads with bullets in their heart. Being taken from their bed in the middle of the night and placed in foster care and then another one and then another one. Trying to sleep with people screaming and guns firing. A mother telling her she didn’t want her and giving her away, keeping the new baby because she loves it.  

Out of 56 stories, 13 were about children trying to live their lives in a broken world … just wanting someone to love them. It’s the only life they know.  

When you think you are having a bad day, remember these kids.


“I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me.” Matthew 25:36 (MSG)


2 comments:

Joanne Sher May 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM  

This touched me, Joy. Thank you.

Joy Bach May 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM  

Touched me and my daughter also. Thank you.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP