Paralysis and the Cure

>> Sunday, May 22, 2011

I sat in Starbucks, sipping my drink and reading the USA Today. A headline caught my attention: New Steps Taken Vs. Paralysis – Literally. This was a must read. The article told of a 25-year old man who had been paralyzed from the chest down in a hit-and-run accident five years previously. Now, with some new electronic stimulation technology, he can walk a few steps, and move his hips, knees, ankles and toes.

 Paralyzed. I’ve been there … paralyzed from the brain down … since birth.

Mine was no hit-and-run, but a systematic program to rid me of all capabilities to think for myself. The rules and regulations I lived under were numerous, but all came with the heading: GOD SAYS. And since that was all I had ever known, I believed them, the significant people in my life.

As I looked around Starbucks, I wondered which of these customers might be paralyzed. Oh, none of them looked paralyzed. But I hadn’t either.

Was it one of the two younger women sitting across from me at a table? One had arrived late and her strident and nasally voice had announced to all the reasons for her tardiness. I could still hear her speaking … every word. Perhaps she was paralyzed by her need for attention. Was she that unaware of how loudly she spoke?

What about the older couple who sat in the comfortable chairs in the corner? Husband and wife? Brother and sister? Maybe they were paralyzed by their advancing age … and no longer really lived life.

Then there was the young professionally dressed young man sitting directly in front of me … complete with laptop and Bluetooth. He had been talking since he walked in the door (hopefully to someone on the phone) and began setting up shop. With his office complete, he sat down and began working on the computer. He hadn’t even stopped to order a drink yet. Was he paralyzed by ambition?

The USA Today article said, “This (the new technology) has the potential to dramatically change lives.”

I remember the day I read in the Bible that God loved me and wanted me to have hope and a wonderful future. (Jer. 29:11) That was the day I began to walk … taking baby steps. Soon I could move my hips, knees, ankles and toes. God is still working on me, but I am no longer paralyzed.

My life has been dramatically changed.

“Now we look inside, and what we see is that anyone united with the Messiah gets a fresh start, is created new. The old life is gone; a new life burgeons!” 2 Cor. (MSG)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP