David Who?

>> Sunday, September 4, 2011

From my vantage point high above the track, I watched the cars barrel around the oval … NASCAR at its best. Having been a fan for years, I not only knew the driver’s names, but their wives … sometimes children … sometimes parents. I knew where they lived and who their sponsor was. I had it bad.

Suddenly one car bumped another and the “Big Crash” began. In slow motion the double zero car (00) turned sideways and hit the wall head on. The race was red flagged as they worked to extricate the driver … David Stremme.

I had never heard of him. He was rushed to the infield hospital … but was DOA.

I awoke. My heart was pounding and my mind was racing. Who was David Stremme? I rarely remember any dreams. But when I do, they are in Technicolor and very memorable. I knew without a doubt that driver’s name was David Stremme. It took me awhile to go back to sleep.

Again, I saw the track … the race … the crash into the wall. Again it was the 00 car with driver David Stremme. Again, he was DOA. Again I awoke with heart pounding and mind racing. What was going on?

I finally went back to sleep.

For a third time, I witnessed the race, the crash, the death. There would be no more sleeping. I padded my way to the computer and Googled the name David Stremme. I was amazed and a little fearful to discover there was a new NASCAR driver named David Stremme. In 2003 he had been rookie of the year for the Nationwide series.

This was a real person. Now what was I supposed to do?

Since I am familiar with an organization called Motor Racing Outreach, I thought maybe they could help me. MRO conducts church services at the race tracks before the races, prays with the drivers and holds Sunday school for the drivers’ children.

I’m sure I sounded like a loony as I tried to explain my concern. Yes, there was a driver named David Stremme … but exactly what kind of message did I want to deliver to him? I didn’t know. That he was going to die? I couldn’t do that. So I just told them to give him a message that I was praying for him and his safety.

And then I waited … and watched the next race. Never before had my eyes been glued on David Stremme, but in that race I knew every time he wobbled. I caught myself holding my breath when he rounded a curve.

And I prayed.

That was several years ago … and he’s still racing.

I have no idea why that dream … three times. I don’t know if I was supposed to do more. I do know I prayed … daily and for weeks … for his protection. He has no idea who I am or the concern he caused me.

But God does.

God's angel sets up a circle of protection around us while we pray.” Psalm 34:7 (MSG)



3 comments:

Kim Russell September 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM  

Wow- awesome post. Bless you for being obedient.

Joanne Sher September 5, 2011 at 7:18 AM  

Wow is right! Thank you for listening. I don't always.

Joy Bach September 5, 2011 at 2:08 PM  

I'm still unsure what that was all about. But I've never forgotten the name David Stremme and still pray for him.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP