Life in the Salt Shaker

>> Monday, September 5, 2011

Regularly the pews would be full … Sunday morning … Sunday evening … Wednesday night prayer meeting … and then every evening all week when it was revival time. The saints would gather, nodding at each other as they took their assigned seats. Some shouting would be heard … some fingers pointed … as the worshipers expressed their agreement with the words being spoken.

Then they all went home and waited for the next time to come together.

When the boundaries of the church property were reached, the armor was in place so no dirt from the world could possibly affect them. As they traveled through their days, no eye contact was made with the heathen outside the church. The pious ones would think “What a pity they didn’t come into the fold and be saved.” But the problem was those church goers never left the salt shaker. Nothing was made better by them, because they desired to never be sprinkled in the world.

Even as I lived in this secluded world, it didn’t seem right. Yet I carried on the tradition of exclusivity until I was in my 30’s. As I studied the Bible for myself …instead of being told what to believe … I came across a scripture that made my heart say ah ha.

“Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.” Matthew 5:13 (MSG)

Sounds to me like we’re supposed to do more than just go to church.

This morning as I listened to Chuck Swindoll, he said something that connected with me. “If your whole life revolves around church activities and Christians, you’re living a more sheltered life than is good for you or for the world.” That’s it. As a Christ-follower I’m supposed to be good for the world. I can’t do that if I live my life in the salt shaker.

I still go to church. It’s a gathering of my friends. But doing church is no longer my focus. I rub elbows with people who occasionally use the f-word. I don’t like it and they know it. As they’ve gotten to understand me and what I stand for, when they slip up, they apologize … to me. That’s an opening for me to sprinkle a little salt.

Have you ever over-salted something? Then you know that destroys the enjoyment of eating that food. Just a little salt … when needed … does the job.

"In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you." Matthew 5:48 (MSG)



3 comments:

Rita Garcia September 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM  

"Have you ever over-salted something? Then you know that destroys the enjoyment of eating that food. Just a little salt … when needed … does the job."
This is SO true and I've never thought about it this context. Awesome!

Joy Bach September 5, 2011 at 6:32 PM  

Thanks Rita. Chuck S triggered this one.

Kimberly Russell September 6, 2011 at 7:55 AM  

Great thoughts...and some I've had myself.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP