A Dream Realized

>> Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I learned to sew as a child … on a treadle sewing machine. Thanks to a rescue by my brother, Tony, that machine now resides in my guest bedroom. We had no money for patterns, so I designed my own clothes … at first using material from flour sacks. As a teenager, my wedding dress was sewn on that treadle machine.  

When my husband left me, I became a seamstress to earn money. As my daughters grew old enough to marry, I created wedding dresses, bridesmaid’s dresses (using my designing capabilities to make one into a maternity dress) and dresses for the flower girls.  

Then life happened. No time … or room … for sewing. In my last home of fifteen years, my sewing machine resided in a closet and was retrieved only for mending emergencies.  

But my dream of a spot designed for sewing never left me. I still have things to learn … like how to use a serger … and make quilts. And so … tomorrow … that dream will be realized. Cabinets, shelves and a sewing table will be installed.  

I’ll be the one standing to the side … grinning.   

It’s taken a long time for this dream to come true. Some dreams are that way. If you have a dream for something in your future … don’t give up. You just never know when it might come true … maybe even when you are 69.  

“May He grant you your heart's desire and fulfill all your plans!” Psalm 20:4 (ESV)

  

6 comments:

Unknown March 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM  

I will inspect the new sewing room next time I'm over.

Anonymous,  March 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM  

I remember that sewing machine. I made a baby quilt, on it, for Donnie when he was born. It's still around here somewhere. :o)

Bonnie

Joy Bach March 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM  

Really. I didn't know that. Good morning to you. I'm waiting for the stuff to show up.

Rocky Delafontaine May 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM  

I’m glad that you have fulfilled your dream to establish a perfect spot for sewing, complete with furniture and fixture. It’s heartwarming to know that you learned to sew when you were a kid and designed your own wedding dress when you were a teenager. Until now your passion for sewing has not ceased; it only means that you are a natural born sewer.

Brother se350 October 23, 2012 at 5:51 AM  

When my spouse left me, I became a dressmaker to generate income. As my children increased old enough to get married to, I created designer wedding outfits, bridesmaid’s outfits (using my developing abilities to make one into a pregnancy dress) and outfits for the plant ladies.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP