Do You Hear the Sirens?

>> Saturday, November 13, 2010

Yesterday, as I ran errands, I ended up first in line in a middle lane at a red light … at a very busy intersection. I heard sirens. Turning off my music and putting down the window, I could tell they were headed my way. But from what direction?

My light turned green.

Since there were cars on my right, I couldn’t pull over and wait. I glanced around the intersection. No one was moving. The driver of the car behind me blared his horn. Other cars in other lanes were honking their impatience. Still no one moved.

I was uncomfortable as I stood my ground … not moving. But I could be T-boned in the middle of the intersection if I moved forward.

Finally, the emergency vehicles passed me in the left lane, turning at the intersection. The light had turned red again.

As I sat and waited for another green light, I wondered about the people in the cars with the honking horns. Had their music been too loud to hear the sirens? Or had they heard them, but were too impatient to care?

Life is like that. Sometimes we hear sirens. Oh, they aren’t audible to others, but we feel them in our being. It’s difficult to stand up to another person who has no patience for what we believe. Or maybe they have their own agenda and just really don’t care. Others may have such heavy peer pressure that to put us down is the only way they know how to behave.

Stand your ground. It may be more than your life you save. 

1 comments:

opramum November 13, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

Wonderful and thought provoking post. Sometimes other people never do hear the sirens, makes it hard. But, we are called to stand our ground for what is right.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP