His Eye is on the Sparrow, the Dog, and Me

>> Tuesday, April 12, 2011

“Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?” Matthew 6:26 (NLT)

Yes, we have a new dog. It’s probably been 25 years since we had one. And so I’ve been pondering new and unusual things.

The dog, Charlie, cannot get his own food. He waits very impatiently while I go to the bin in the garage where the dog food is, put the scoop in and come up with two cups of food for him. His nose follows the scoop to his doggie dish and before the last chunk has landed, he is crunching away. I might add the tail is a powerful thing when wagging with all its strength. It could do damage.

The same is true for his water needs. There is no way he can reach the faucet, turn it on and fill his water dish. He counts on me or my husband to do that. And he drinks a lot of water. He has two bowls in the house and one on the patio … which need filling more than once a day.

We provide shelter for Charlie. We’ve only had him a week, but when it storms outside, we will bring him in for protection. When the temperature drops, we won’t make him stay outside. He can’t open the door and come in when he needs. It is up to us.

So through the learning curve of this past week, I’ve been thinking about God … and me. If God cares about the birds and provides for them, how much more will He give me … a child of His? Sometimes I have to wait for what I think I need … and I’m not very patient. But do I doubt His love? He cares for me more than I can possibly understand. And He’s not standing there with a doggie scoop full. He has an overabundance of good things for me. When a storm comes in my life, I know I have a Protector. He will hold me in His hand and keep me safe and warm.

And so this past week I’ve been singing an old gospel hymn, “His Eye is on the Sparrow”  … written in 1905 (I’m not quite that old).

“I sing because I’m happy.
I sing because I’m free.
His eye is on the sparrow,
and I know He watches me.”

Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.” Luke 12:7 (NASB)


2 comments:

Joy Bach April 12, 2011 at 7:02 AM  

Thanks Barb. The jury is still out on whether some of his actions are cute. LOL

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP