An Unforgettable Halloween

>> Monday, October 31, 2011

I could see it coming. The scene was being prepared. It was fun to watch.  

John asked me if he could borrow some of my big candles. He was having a special dinner and wanted candlelight. I loaned him candles. A few days later the request was for some romantic music records (remember what those were?). I loaned him my records. Time passed and then he asked me over to his apartment for dinner.  

I borrowed my teenage daughter’s slinky dress and showed up at his door.  

“Oh, you must have misunderstood. I am just cooking dinner here.”  

I understood. He was flustered. But if the night turned out the way I thought it was going to, I wanted to be dressed for the occasion.  

Dinner was fine … and then we moved to the living room. That’s when the evening began going downhill. He had trouble lighting the candles. The records were old, and had scratches. They kept getting stuck.  

But he persevered.  

Sitting on the floor … our backs against the couch … I could sense it was nearing time for the BIG question. And I knew there was one more thing that could go wrong.  

Candlelight … music … wine … and a knock on the door.  

“Who in the world could that be?” When John opened the door, there stood several children, dressed in their Halloween costumes.  

“Trick or treat.”  

The look on his face was priceless when he turned to me and asked, “Is this Halloween?”  

“Yes.”  

So much for romance. Between the constant knocking on the door and my uncontrollable laughter, it was difficult for John to ask. But he did.  

“Will you marry me?”  

I said “Yes.”


3 comments:

Yvonne Blake October 31, 2011 at 7:45 AM  

Ha Ha Ha... when a guy is in love, he doesn't know what's up or down, (or what day it is). My son plans to marry in January. He is deaf and blind to everything else going on around him. I doubt he knows what today is either.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP